Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Seven Days

I'm now officially on my seventh day of no social media. And you know what? It's not really all that bad. I've stayed in touch with my friends from social media the old-fashioned way (texts and emails) and it's not near as isolating as I had previously imagined. Also, I've found plenty of ways to fill my time this past week.

First, I got food poisoning last Thursday. Not being able to eat or drink made me have a migraine, which made me sicker, which made me super dehydrated, which landed me in the ER. And the kicker? I didn't even lose any darn weight!

One day during my convalescence, I did read an entire book. It was a YA book so it's not like I read War and Peace all in one day. I read The Fault in Our Stars. People have written amazing reviews of this book, so I'm not even going to try. Instead, I will share with you some of my most favorite lines from the book.

  • Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. (This is me 100% with Sarah Bessey's Jesus Feminist. If you're a friend of mine, I have probably told you to read this book right away, do not delay, read it.)
  • As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once. (This line was especially special to me because when Jeremy and I first started dating, he would read to me rather frequently. There's just something about a man who will read aloud to you.)
  • I had a moral opposition to eating before dawn on the grounds that I was not a nineteenth-century Russian peasant fortifying myself for a day in the fields. (I just thought this was funny, this book was incredibly intense, the comedic relief was nice.)
  • You have a choice in this world, I believe, about how to tell sad stories, and we made the funny choice. 

So, read The Fault in Our Stars if you haven't. It's a fast read, I think maybe it took me four hours, tops. I did cry for the entire last hour of reading it though, so be warned. And when I say cry, I mean a couple of times I had to put the book down to sob into a dish towel. 

Oh, and yesterday, my newest niece was born! She's a hefty little lady and we're all pretty happy about her, or "it", as my nephew continued to refer to her. 

Please to feast your eyes upon her her chubbiness:


(Confession: I don't really miss any social media except for Pinterest. And have mercy do I miss Pinterest. How did we live before we had a platform that is the equivalent of looking at a thousand magazines all at one time!?!)

Note: If you'd like to comment, please do so here and not on Facebook. I'm not checking Facebook until Easter so I won't see your comment for a long time.