Friday, March 2, 2012

If you say gullible really slowly, it sounds like orange

When I was in the second grade, I was tested for and accepted into the gifted program at school. I graduated from high school with a 4.0 GPA. I graduated from the undergraduate program in accounting with a 3.89 GPA. I graduated with a Masters of Accountancy with a 4.0 GPA. I passed three out of four sections of the CPA exam the first time. (And I will always contend that the only reason I didn't pass the fourth part of the exam the first time is because I was so sick when I took it that I don't actually remember taking it.) I'm kind of smart is what I'm saying.

However, I think that when God blessed me with this intelligence, He knew he was going to have to balance it with something. You know, so that I didn't get too cocky. Oh did He ever balance it. I am what you might call gullible. It's not a naive type of gullibility. It's more of a, if I believe that you know a good deal about a subject, then I will believe what you tell me is true. This has lead to countless $100+ oil changes. I mean, it got to the point where I had to just say to the person changing my oil, "I want an oil change. That is it. Do not come at me with any other suggestions. I will not fall for this anymore."

Jeremy, my new fella, seems to take a special kind of joy in pulling my leg. And it started pretty much right away when we started dating this past summer. Of course, as everyone knows it's hot as four blazes in the South during the summer. I had long wanted a ceiling fan for the bedroom; however, my ex was anti-ceiling fans. Thankfully, after he was gone, Home Depot had a great price on a ceiling fan. Jeremy was in Texas working and the following g-chat conversation took place while I was in Home Depot:

Me: Now I'm gonna get a ceiling fan!

Him: : Awesome. Make sure it turns the right way for the northern hemisphere. They could be intended for places below the equator where the Coriolis effect works the other direction.

Him: Which would explain the low price.

Me:  Are you pulling my leg or are you for real!?

Him:  What do you think? Airplane propellers don't stop and reverse direction, do they? No, they change pitch. You can't spin an airfoil backwards and have it work efficiently

Me: :I don't know! You're making my brain hurt! Also I sent you a picture.

Him: So make sure they are intended for the North American market.

At this point in the conversation I was so aggravated that I called him to tell him that I couldn't find a sales person, and there was nothing on the box that gave any indication as to whether or not it was for the North American Market, and that I was just going to go home and not get the ceiling fan. And then I hung up.

I immediately received this message:

Him:  And I was just kidding. Pretty good BS work though, you have to admit

I bought the ceiling fan. And I kept dating Jeremy. So, it was a win for both of us. And now we get to tell this story to our friends and make them laugh. I mean shoot, even I think my gullibility is funny. Because what kind of life would I be living if I couldn't laugh at myself?