Monday, February 20, 2012

Who Are You Calling Chicken?

Some people are cat people. Some people are dog people. I, well, I am a chicken person. I tried having a dog before. And honestly, it was the worst experience of my life. I had all these grand ideas of what it would be like to have a dog. And then when I got the dog, it was horrible. The barking and the hair and the cleaning up poop from my floor and the walking the dog at all hours and in all kinds of weather, well that was just not for me.

As I was preparing to get the chickens, I was so afraid that I would wind up in the same place I was with the dog. But that has not been the case. Not even once. I've had the chickens for a week, and I've loved them more every day. They literally are the world's easiest pet. AND they give you eggs to boot. Interestingly enough, I would say that they are even more affectionate than my dog. I never imagined that a chicken could like to be petted. But these birds do. They literally will eat right out of my hand.

See...


And they will pose for the camera so that you can see their gorgeous coloring. What a diva!


And here they are, mid-bath. I've never seen chickens more excited about a mound of dirt.


The next door neighbor saw us moving the coop this morning and asked if I'd "brought some Alabama to Atlanta." And I guess, he was right. I did bring a little bit of home to my new home. And these little ladies are filling my home with excitement.

Oh, and just since I'm sure you are all keeping count...the chickens have laid ten eggs so far.